Monday, May 3, 2010

Try this...

First of all we had another great trip to the farmers market & got some plants this time...another good reason to shop your farmers markets-- this gigantic basil plant was only $3.00 & the hanging basket with tomatoes only $6.00-- now if I can keep them alive (I have a bit of a black thumb...I'm working on it) :)

so, on to some recipes...

I made my first Coconut Shrimp (with this recipe...minus the sauce-I like cocktail sauce) & it was good, but needs a little tweak...here is what I would do differently next time...

*halve the breading ingredients...use 1 cup coconut, 1 cup bread crumbs, 1 cup flour and 2 eggs. I had soooo much leftover & wasted.

*substitute lightly toasted PANKO bread crumbs for the regular..I didn't like the texture of the regular bread crumbs.

*& make sure you generously salt & pepper both the flour & bread crumb mixture.

Give it a try & let me know what you think :)

***
And on a completely random note...my favorite pizza topping...Sauteed portobello mushrooms...I get a little tired of pepperoni & black olives or ham & pineapple (my family's favorites)...so I make this instead.  Sometimes I pair it with basil pesto, sometimes regular pizza sauce, always with freshly grated Parmesan...

about 2 T. olive oil
1 container baby portobello mushrooms (or cremini)
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
salt & pepper
2-3 pinches red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried thyme

1. Clean & slice or dice your mushrooms.  Heat olive oil over med-high heat & add mushrooms, then garlic.  Saute a few minutes until mushrooms are lightly browned, then add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes & thyme.  Saute until mushrooms are soft, then top your pizza or fold into a calzone.
Yum...honestly I can eat them right out of the pan :)

As always I love to hear your comments...
What's your favorite pizza topping??

No comments: